Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Bring Books Not Guns"

In the past months there has been controversy across the state of Texas whether or not a student can carry a concealed gun on campus due to the recent shooting at the University of Texas. The passage of a campus carry bill during the 2011 Texas Legislative Session would amend state law so that individuals over the age of 21 who have undergone the training, testing, and extensive background checks required to obtain a state-issued concealed handgun license would be allowed to carry concealed handguns at state colleges. I watched Senator Don Patrick address the issue, and support his argument saying it would make the classroom a lot safer. I’m in shock that he even thinks this would be a logical decision if anything I believe it would make things worse. I also strongly agree with my colleague that students should not be allowed to carry guns on school campus. It wouldn’t make me feel any safer. It would actually make me more cautious of my surroundings. I also agree that the campus police officers are well trained but it might possibly a better decision to allow professors to carry a gun on campus then students. I also agree with my colleague there should be an emergency system such as mass texting. Or even better an emergency siren alarm system that would initiate a lock down instantly securing the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment